Tuesday, April 5, 2005

I've been deceived

I listened to Elbow online and I really liked the following song:

http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/

I mean it has horn, xylophone, and an accordion. With a combination like that, how could you not have hit after hit? Music practically writes itself. So, it follows, that a CD of their music would be filled with gems. I broke down and bought one. There is not one horn, accordion, nor is there a xylophone. The majority of it was mostly trying to sound like Peter Gabriel's "Red Rain". You know, "meaningful", but not really. Let's call it faux meaningful, which means long and bland with strained vocals. Ok, I'm not giving it credit. There are actually a couple of songs which I can tolerate and maybe grow to like. It turns out the song that I did like, which isn't on CD, is a remake of a Destiny's Child song.

But wait, I was deceived again. I also bought a CD by Yeah Yeah Yeah's. (Stupid name, I know). I really liked the song, "Maps". Nice Radiohead-esque song, but with female vocals. You know the type. You could probably poke them with a stick and they may or may not respond because life is full of people poking you with sticks. Again, the hits practically write themselves. I figured that it was such a good song that the rest couldn't be that bad. The rest of the songs were horrible, screeching, "I'm-a-bad-ass-girl" songs. Just horrible.

No wonder I don't buy CD's anymore. I really miss buying a CD and loving almost every song. What happened to bands like that? Are musicians getting worse? or is it me?

No comments:

Post a Comment