Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kick me when I'm down!

So, over the past couple of months, I've been kind of dieting. Not really dieting, but trying to reduce bad calories slowly and blah, blah, blah, you know how it goes.


Well, I went to go visit my parents and was freezing the whole time, inside their house, out and about. It was like a deep freeze and I couldn't escape from it. I also had horrible insomnia. I went home a week later and found that I had gained 18 pounds. Yes, 18 pounds from eating the same diet as my parents. (Have you seen my mother? She's tiny.) Anyway, I also began to finally be able to sleep. I started to sleep 12 hours a day and wake up and be tired. All of my muscles began to ache from doing the simplest tasks. I would get a cramp from chewing, walking or even just moving my thumb. Dealing cards became excruciating. I also continued to feel cold and gain weight.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. So, I went to the doctor and said, I think there is something wrong with my thyroid.

I had actually just gone to the doctor before this all started and had a normal thyroid test and was weighed. So, over the course of 2 months, I had gained 50 pounds and yes, it appears that my thyroid has died. My TSH level went from 4.5 (top of the normal range) to 88.0, which is obviously high. The strange thing is that it is a huge jump from 2 months, usually it isn't such a dramatic jump. It is more gradual. My doctor also stated that it appears that my muscles are breaking down and that explains the extreme muscle cramping and fatigue. And he started me down the arduous path of synthroid titration to treat it. He also views me as a medical oddity and has ordered more tests after consulting with an endocrinologist. (I'm so glad I didn't get referred.)

So, in any case, I feel like crap. I look like crap. (My facial structure actually was changed around the eyes...again, not uncommon). Everyone at work can tell I'm sick whether I tell them or not. Then for no reason that I can see, my boss schedules me to work six days next week. I have lots of people offer to work for me on the extra day. So, I go up to the scheduler and ask, "Is there anyway that I can get out of working on Tuesday?"

She looked at me angrily and flatly said, "No," resuming what she was doing.

"Is there anyway that I can set up something like FMLA?"

"Do what you gotta do!" She snapped.

I was kind of flabbergasted that someone would want to kick someone when they were down, so I said "Oh," and started to back away.

My supervisor overheard me and started yelling "You blew it!"

"Huh?"

"You blew it! You can't ask for time off and then use FMLA. How are you going to know that you are going to be sick ahead of time?" He paused for a split second, just long enough for me not to get a response together, "huh?!"

I replied, "well, I have this thing with my muscles. They are cannibalizing themselves and they cramp up a lot. I thought two days off in a row would be good."

He just said, "Oh" and walked away.

Anyway, I've now worked that day that I wanted to get off and it was horrible. I have also just learned that their behavior was in violation of FMLA laws. I don't want to go legal on them, but the desire to report them to human resources is really, really strong.

Also, I had to drop school this term. I think that I'm going to use the time that I would have spent in school to start a dealer's union.

21 comments:

  1. What in the world. I hope you feel better soon, and that you dont waste too much energy trying to figure out a bunch of insensitive pricks. They DO deserve legal action, but if that just wastes more of your energy, forget them. Concentrate on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know from firsthand experience how unsettling it is to have changes to one's face (even non-permanent changes) as a result of a health issue.
    *sympathetic*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to your face? I hope it was non-permanent as well.
    I'm OK with it, but it seems to tell everyone, hey, I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent apx a year in my twenties with my face red and swollen up, particularly around my eyes. I looked-- to strangers-- simply like someone with a fat face and a sunburn, but to me, I looked like I had lost the characteristics of my natural features and no one could tell me when my body would stop having this detoxing/allergic style of reaction.
    the naturopaths finally determined it was a pesticide poisoning (my apartment bedroom window had been open when they sprayed the place) and they detoxed me with various methods and my face finally returned to normal.
    But I wont ever forget the horrible feeling of looking in even the sideview mirror of a car in broad daylight on a nice, sunny day and failing to recognize my face in the reflection. I felt like a burn victim, in particular, because I did not know if it would EVER go back to normal... and my mother wept at one doctor appt, asking them if my lower lip would scar into the shape it was now... she said, "it just doesnt look like the daughter I remember...her poor little face..." I guess that was fairly traumatizing in itself.
    It is amazing how much time can correct things though. I look like me again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So have they got you on synthroid or whatever it is? I've heard that the symptoms clear up pretty rapidly once you go on the hormone replacement.
    And for God's sake, go all legal on them! Let them kick you around, then sue them for millions for what they've done to you! That's the beauty of the American legal system, my boy.
    I'm sorry you're feeling rotten. I don't know if I told you this, but I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago. It was sucky and horrible, but on the other hand, it forced me to make some positive life changes that I wouldn't have otherwise ...
    Sending hugs & good thoughts your way.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I just went back and reread, and you *do* say they've got you on synthroid. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One last thought ... I think the idea of a dealer's union is AWESOME, whether you were kidding or not.
    But take some time to feel better first, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the diabetes...there should be a greeting card that says that with a little kitten on the cover, then when you open it up, it could say, "I hope you don't lose a toe to the diabetes."
    Had I fallen or fainted or something, I would have a legal leg to stand on. As it is right now, they probably would back the managers, who would lie and well, I have no witnesses. Better just start a union. Personal vindication in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yah, right now, they are making it really easy to start dealer's unions through the Transport Workers Union. There is a huge movement right now. None of the downtown properties have been unionized yet. It makes sense that the Golden Nugget be the first and it makes sense that I do the organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A while back I posted a Website with all sorts of versions of "The Internationale" -- let me know if you need me to dig it up for you!
    ;-)
    Workers of the world, unite!
    (Be careful, though. I never saw "Norma Rae" but I think it was kinda tough for her, wasn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Except I don't call it diabetes. I prefer the old fashioned parlance, "the sugar." As in, "I've got a touch of the sugar."
    The one thing I don't want is for the high blood pressure (that goes along with the diabetes and high cholesterol in a lovely trio called "Syndrome X") to lead to a stroke. My brain is all I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to be stealthy in my unionization. And besides, there are so many laws protecting unionizers now. It's not a guarantee though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't blame you. I would hate to have a stroke, who would? Good health to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry I didn't respond to this. It never got delivered via mail or I misplaced it or something. I just went back to the post thinking. I wonder what happened to Hazelwindows. Voila! Now I know.
    Wow, that is traumatizing. It is worse to have to deal with someone else freaking out as well. Greg claims not to notice a difference. However, I do and people I barely know notice as well. I'm not sure how to take that. In any case, I'm returning back to normal and so all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh good! I'm glad to hear it is getting better. And good for Greg not making it something he talks about. I admit, while on every other topic on Earth I would always want honest answers from people, that was one of the few times where having someone else thinking it was as bad as I did, did NOT help me get through it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh good! I'm glad to hear it is getting better. And good for Greg not making it something he talks about. I admit, while on every other topic on Earth I would always want honest answers from people, that was one of the few times where having someone else thinking it was as bad as I did, did NOT help me get through it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know from firsthand experience how unsettling it is to have changes to one's face (even non-permanent changes) as a result of a health issue.
    *sympathetic*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Except I don't call it diabetes. I prefer the old fashioned parlance, "the sugar." As in, "I've got a touch of the sugar."
    The one thing I don't want is for the high blood pressure (that goes along with the diabetes and high cholesterol in a lovely trio called "Syndrome X") to lead to a stroke. My brain is all I have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yah, right now, they are making it really easy to start dealer's unions through the Transport Workers Union. There is a huge movement right now. None of the downtown properties have been unionized yet. It makes sense that the Golden Nugget be the first and it makes sense that I do the organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So have they got you on synthroid or whatever it is? I've heard that the symptoms clear up pretty rapidly once you go on the hormone replacement.
    And for God's sake, go all legal on them! Let them kick you around, then sue them for millions for what they've done to you! That's the beauty of the American legal system, my boy.
    I'm sorry you're feeling rotten. I don't know if I told you this, but I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago. It was sucky and horrible, but on the other hand, it forced me to make some positive life changes that I wouldn't have otherwise ...
    Sending hugs & good thoughts your way.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete