Wednesday, July 28, 2004

My Dirty Little Secret at Work

OK, I'm a craps dealer. I have been since I started and I hate it. You have to deal with eight people yelling at you to place this bet or that bet and they don't know what they are doing. The boxperson is yelling at the person working the stick to move the dice faster, so you are constantly moving. People are throwing money. A know-it-all places a $174 six and want it pressed when it hits. It pays $203, You pay out $16 and make his bet $248. That is in a pain in the ass. You can't hear the stick persons call and you can't look at the dice at the other end. Everyone is yelling at you (even when you are good), things are going crazy and then someone comes up and says, "Teach me how to play this game". No matter how well you explain it, they are too drunk to understand and just keep saying, "I don't understand, I just don't understand." Shoot me now!!!!

Dice dealers tend to think that they are better than everybody else and they also hate to deal blackjack. I on the other hand, hate craps and think that I'm equal.

What's the secret then?

For some reason, the Golden Nugget misplaced the information that I deal craps and put me exclusively on blackjack. I'm telling no one. You see, craps dealers are usually in demand, that's part of the reason I got hired. If they knew, they would have me on craps all the time. I am so happy with my job at the Golden Nugget.

Response from mkhobson:

Oh my freaking God I can't believe you're a craps dealer. Dan loves craps, but I absolutely, totally cannot figure it out. It completely baffles me, even when I'm not drunk. (But I've never asked a dealer to explain it to me. I never ask dealers anything. I always assume they're too busy. But then, you see, I am a sensitive and sophisticated person.) Many's the time I've watched the craps dealers and thought, "what a shitty job that would be because it must be so f*ing confusing and complicated." Jeez!

And no one ever tips craps dealers. At least not that I've ever seen.

But couldn't you be the guy who sits behind the huge stacks of chips and just watches it all go down? What is he, like the table boss or something? He's like the spider in the middle of the web, just waiting for suckers to blunder up against him.

My response:

You can ask dealers how to play, just make sure they aren't too busy or at least pay good attention. That is their job and if you are nice, they won't mind at all. Just please don't be drunk. I'll do a post on how to play craps later. I'm the best at explaining it.

Craps dealers get a lot of tips, if people are winning only. My largest tip was $1,800. It was a bet on the hard "8" (which means two "4's". You may not get a lot and then BAM! You get a ton.

They guy behind the chips is called the boxman or more recently the boxperson. All they do is watch for mistakes, count money and color people up. Usually, they wait until you are really burnt out before they make you boxperson. They also don't make tips, so sometimes the dealers make more than they do and they have to wear a suit.

mkhobson's response:

It was a bet on the hard "8" (which means two "4's". You may not get a lot and then BAM! You get a ton.

Yeah, hard 8. That's Dan's favorite bet. If he's having a downswing at the poker table, or is just bored with all the crappy hands he's picking up, he'll head over to the craps table and put down a few hard 8 bets. Sometimes, if he notices me getting frustrated or on tilt, he'll give me some chips and tell me to go bet the hard 8. I've made up losing nights that way. But I'm never quite certain when I'm supposed to throw money out, who I'm supposed to throw it to, whether it's supposed to be "off" or "on", when it's "working" and when it's not ... whatever. It's all very intimidating. I shall look forward to your explanation someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment