Sunday, June 24, 2007

Existential ennui

"If man, as the existentialist conceives him, is indefinable, it is because at first he is nothing. Only afterward will he be something, and he himself will have made what he will be". - Sartre

Well, I'm making nothing. That's what I feel like, at least right now. I've feel like I've wasted my life, making bad decision after bad decision ending up a shell of a person barely useful as even a statistic.

I relive my past too much, playing the mistakes over and over in my head, wishing to go in the past and start over from a multiple of points. I can't let go of that desire to time travel even though I know it is impossible.

So, my current goal of working in a medical field just seems so meaningless. Help people fulfill their worthless lives as well? Education occupies my mind like a hobby, my own personal opiate.

I think that even if I found a cure for cancer, I would feel my life meaningless. Feeling the oppression of time, life seems too fleeting to make an impact and feel it.

My latest fantasy is organizing a grassroots organization to start a statewide initiative requiring a mandatory amount of vacation time. I'm sick of dealing to Germans with their 20 days off, when I only got 5 days after working for a year. Of course I never had time to ponder the meaning of existence, I need a vacation. Of course, I'm always too poor to do anything when I do get vacation time.

Advice, anyone?

One thing I know for sure. I need sleeping pills. This always hits me when I'm trying to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment