Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Unionizing Part I


I met with the union reps today. They were nice. They were a little more rough than I expected. By rough, I mean they were mafia-like. By mafia-like, I mean they were Italian and wore gold jewelry with their shirts unbuttoned. They work for the Transport Workers Union which has decided to take Las Vegas Dealers under their wings.

They were impressed that I had already stolen the schedules for all three shifts. I knew they would need the schedules to create a database and to monitor progress.

They gave me a lot of authorization cards for co-workers to sign, as well as some buttons and bumper stickers.

That's pretty much the gist of it.

In case you are unsure, unionizing works like this:

1. 70% of all the dealers at the Golden Nugget need to sign authorization cards in order for their to be a vote (30% legally, but the Transport Workers Union has high standards).

2. When all of the cards are turned in, there is a vote to determine whether or not there should be a union. I think you only need 51% for that, I could be wrong. Of course, before there is a vote, the company tries to dissuade everyone from voting union.

3. When the union is voted in, nothing happens until their is a contract negotiation. Then the union is official.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you! I've always wondered about unions. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! I've always wondered about unions. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete