Friday, March 14, 2008

Unionizing Part II - Oh Shit!

Shit! Shit! Shit!

So, I've been placing these cute little business cards in the break room. That say, "Sign an authorization card" and it lists the union website and my e-mail address: GNunion@gmail.com

I've been slow having people sign the authorization cards, because I wanted to build interest first and get support from other workers. So, I handed out some and gave extra to people that wanted to help.

I got a frantic call from another worker before I went to work the next day. She told me that one of my helpers was giving out authorization cards to dealers in the pits under the cameras. You can be fired for that and plus that ruins any surprise tactic we might have had.

Luckily, that went unnoticed. Then I learned that another dealer, from another shift, found one of my business cards and put it on a live blackjack game. This dealer was suspended for three days. All because of me. Shit! Well, because of me and because that dealer clearly lacked any sort of common sense...what an idiot!

Anyway, since this all happened, it has been announced that the dealers' break room is going to get a plasma TV and a remodel. (It hasn't been remodeled since the 70's). This is a tactic to prevent unionization. It is the buddy-buddy method of making the dealers think that everything is going to be better from now on. It is my favorite tactic, because some good comes out of it, even though all the nice things end once the election is lost (which it won't be).

Also, some of the extra board dealers (who have been extra board for 2 years or more) have been approached and told that they were going to be made full time. Also, part of the buddy-buddy system.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't leave a comment on your earlier post, but I was going to. Anyway, keep this stuff coming! This is, like, real life intrigue and shit! I love it.
    Sounds like you've got the bosses worried, at least. Keep up the good work (and don't get your legs broke.)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth is...it is really not that exciting. Collecting signatures really does not make for an exciting life.
    It turns out the the person being suspended was probably a rumor. Who started the rumor and why is the mystery.
    I have put a lot of work into this and put my neck on the line and I have very few signatures. If any group of people needs a union, it really is these dealers. I don't know why I'm so gun ho about doing a union. I think I was just mad when I got yelled at when I asked about FMLA. Now my revenge doesn't seem so needed. I'm leaving this business soon enough. But now everyone is looking to me to pull this off. What have I done?
    I blame my thyroid. None of this would have happened without my thyroid problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't leave a comment on your earlier post, but I was going to. Anyway, keep this stuff coming! This is, like, real life intrigue and shit! I love it.
    Sounds like you've got the bosses worried, at least. Keep up the good work (and don't get your legs broke.)
    M

    ReplyDelete