Wednesday, July 6, 2005

My Nineteenth Job



I worked in admitting at Mountainview Hospital as a temp job. My job was to tell people to wait for the next representative for regular suregery admitting procedures as well as aid people with their check in at the walk-in ER. To check into the ER, people had to fill out a small form with their name and what was wrong. I would aid them if necessary. Then enter the information into a computer, print out a couple of "official" sheets and a wrist band. I would put the wrist band on the patient. I was told to alert the nurse if there were any serious conditions like chest pain. One time, a guy came in and was having violent seizures. The person with them was in a panic and very upset. I went in to tell the admitting nurse and she got mad at me for bothering her. Then it seemed like she took extra long to get to the patient. The whole place was really unprofessional and the systems that they had in place were very inefficient. Of course, they asked me to become full time and I said "goodbye suckers".

It seemed like their were theme days in the ER. For example, one day we would get a lot of head wounds. Another day, we would get whiny people with the flu. There was open wound day and my personal favorite, missing digit day.

6 comments:

  1. So, did the missing digit people get rushed to be seen, or were they still not as serious as chest pain people? Did you see digits packed in ice like it says to do on TV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when I say missing, I mean missing. No digits on ice. Chest pain always takes priority. If you ever want to be seen quickly, add chest pain to your list of problems, then when you see the doctor say that you have chronic heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so deviously clever, it cracks me up.
    "Yes, doctor. I needed to be seen in th ER because I have this painful infection in my third toe caused by that rusty nail I stepped on, AND chest pain. Are you suggesting these symptoms aren't related to one another afterall?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you have to play it naively. Otherwise, they know that you are taking advantage. However, when you know you are behind a bunch of people with a minor cough, who shouldn't be there anyway, why not do it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, you have to play it naively. Otherwise, they know that you are taking advantage. However, when you know you are behind a bunch of people with a minor cough, who shouldn't be there anyway, why not do it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, when I say missing, I mean missing. No digits on ice. Chest pain always takes priority. If you ever want to be seen quickly, add chest pain to your list of problems, then when you see the doctor say that you have chronic heartburn.

    ReplyDelete