Thursday, May 26, 2005

Decemberists - Mariner's Revenge Song

So, suggested that I download the song by the Decemberists - Mariner's Revenge Song. The song is very unique in that you don't hear sea chantys very much anymore. Well, OK, the only sea chanty I know is "Blow the Man Down". Really, I guess I don't really know what a sea chanty is. However, I would like to classify this as a sea chanty, probably too long though. Anyway, it is a great song. The following are some of the lyrics from the song. They almost remind me of Shakespeare in their depiction of revenge.

"Find him, bind him
Tie him to a pole and break
His fingers to splinters
Drag him to a hole until he
Wakes up naked
Clawing at the ceiling
Of his grave

There is one thing I must say to you
As you sail across the sea
Always, your mother will watch over you
As you avenge this wicked deed"

2 comments:

  1. I've listened to that song so many times that my 7-year old daughter can sing along to that particular refrain with me. We both take a ghoulish glee in it. As I've said many times before, I am most assuredly raising her up to murder me in my bed someday.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that or she'll avenge your death.

    ReplyDelete