Sunday, September 12, 2004

How the Rain Screwed Me Over....Twice!

It never rains here, but it did recently. I didn't get a drop on me, but I blame the rain for my current cold. I was successfully battling a cold that was coming on. I thought for sure I sent it packing. I felt I wouldn't get more than a slight feeling in my chest like a cough wasn't necessary, but wouldn't be out of place.

So, I went to get the mail and a neighbor said, "That was some rain. Do you think we get some more?" or some other inane pleasantry about the rain. I turned back but kept walking. I knew that if I got drawn into this particular neighbor's conversation I could be standing and chatting for hours about her dalmatian's bowel movement or the curious stain on the stucco. So, I kept walking, hoping to get to the couch waiting for me. Of course, karma is instant, while avoiding the topic of rain, I stepped on a small, one-inch curb twisting my ankle. Stupid rain and damn, my weak ankles! It was such horrible, torturous pain, but I couldn't let the neighbor know. She said, "Oh no, are you OK...anyway what about this weather?" I said, "I know....gotta walk this off." I preceded home. Once inside, I let out the standard swear word or two. I hobbled over to a chair and removed my sock. Wouldn't you know it, my foot swelled up to monstrous proportions. I figure that my body decided to go fight what was happening down there, leaving me to be ravished by this cold. In other words, rain begat conversation that begat swollen ankle that begat cold.

Tonight at work, I was lucky that I was at a pretty much dead table for most of the night. If you are a dealer and snot is running down your face, you have to wait for the floor supervisor to become available. Once available, you can ask the floor supervisor for a tissue. S/he will bring one to you and you are allowed to blow your nose while being watched by the floor supervisor. You then must give the tissue back to the supervisor for disposal (usually via an ashtray). The way my nose was leaking....anyway, it was bad.

The second way the rain screwed me over is as follows. (Keep in mind, that is hasn't rained in several months and it only rained for a couple of hours). So, this is the same period of rain we are talking about here. This one involved Greg. Greg now works at an animal hospital. A woman came in with a box and said, "I found this cat. I don't want this cat. You take this cat." Greg replied that she will have to take it to an animal shelter and that the hospital could not accept it. She left in a huff. Well, later, while it was raining,Greg heard a cat screaming outside. You probably have guessed the rest. Greg went outside to see the poor, drenched kitten. Now we have a new cat. I named him Ralph after my favorite character in The Simpsons. The name is subject to change. I did tell Greg he was not allowed to bring home any pets. He can't help it. Anything that is abandoned, he has to keep. Please pray that nothing else is abandoned. He said this will be the only one.




[info]mkhobson
2004-09-14 01:34 pm (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Goddamn it, Patrick, I'm away from LJ for a day or two and look what you go and do to yourself!! Is this a cry for help? ;-)

I saw your later post where you said your swelling is going down, which is good. I'm glad to hear that. I've always had weak ankles myself, so I do sympathize. That's some horrible pain, especially when you first go down, and you hear that crack.... eeewww! I shudder just thinking about it.

Tell Greg he's going to get points in Cat Heaven. Which is different from the Heaven that everyone else will be going to, except old ladies.

M


[info]g_eats
2004-09-15 03:46 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Ya know Patrick if you are not nice I will continue to teach Ralph to bite your ears!!

And, thank you M...see Patrick even M thinks it was good of me to save the poor little cat =P

No comments:

Post a Comment