Saturday, September 25, 2004

My New Alarm Clock

I went out and bought a new alarm clock. Greg thinks it is frivolous and unneeded, but I wanted a new snazzy alarm clock. I'm just so tired of the $12.99 job that we have with the red numbers and wood paneling. What's with making plastic look like wood anyway? Plastic wood is undeniably tacky. It is the equivalent of fake wood paneling in the family rec room in the basement.

The clock I got can put you to sleep and wake you up to six different nature sounds. They really do sound different, too, not just six different kinds of static. OK, there is rain and waterfall. Those two are pretty much like static. Summer night has birds in it as does rainforest. Summer night has crickets. The nicest is thunder which sounds like thunder in the distance. Woudn't it suck if it sounded like thunder outside your window, perhaps with a glass cracking sound with it. (That has happened to me. My window cracked from the sound of thunder while I was in the room.) You can also do the radio thing. The clock is a sleek stylish grey plastic. I would prefer a different color, but what are you going to do. The most unusual part of the clock though is that it projects the time onto the ceiling. No more having to turn my head to check the time like a chump. Now, I can just open my eyes and if I'm facing the clock, fine, if not I can just look at the ceiling. It is a really pretty blue light too.


[info]g_eats
2004-09-25 04:15 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Ok I will admit that the new alarm clock does have a nice sleek design. Not the "tacky" plastic wood of our old alarm clock. However, the old alarm clocked worked just fine. I can't help it that I am practical in this one arena. I think it is silly to replace something that does not need replacing. Like for example: we had a cat that was no longer working so I replaced it with a cat that does work. Or lets say you go to turn on a lamp and well it turns on, nobody says ohh and turns it off and replaces the light bulb. Or runs water in the sink which moves flawlessly down the pipes, then gets the plunger and plunges the sink anyway. Or lets say you were listening to your favorite CD and it played perfectly, one would not go and buy a new one. I ll admit that in some situations replacing things that work fine are ok. Like for example: You are redecorating your living room and the couch does not go with the new decor, so you could replace it. Or your car has 250000 miles on it and it still runs good but you know it is soom going to become a money pit. I know that you could say that the new alarm clock was part of a redecorating scheme for our bedroom (which would fall under the redecorating clause), but I don't think anybody redecorates around an alarm clock. If however, that is your plan..then great I look forward to our sleek futuristic bedroom decor!

[info]tuber_x
2004-09-26 09:13 pm (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
It will be the bedroom of tomorrow. You will love it.

[info]mkhobson
2004-09-25 01:13 pm (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
I hate my alarm clock. It is a CD alarm clock, and it has a Tom Waits CD in it and for some reason it's programmed to wake me up with the saddest, most depressing song on the whole album. I haven't gotten around to changing the CD. Instead, I wake up every day to Tom Waits singing about a rose dying over someone's grave and how you can't feel the rain when you're dead.

I should probably get around to changing that CD one of these days.

MM

[info]tuber_x
2004-09-25 11:37 pm (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
It is happy to wake up to that song because it reminds you that you are still alive and can feel rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment