Friday, October 15, 2004

The Conspiracy against Bjork

Remember me complaining about the presentation of the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games? My problem was that they talked over everything including Bjork's song especially made for the Olympics. Of course, they didn't talk over the olympic hymn, the most tuneless, boring song in the world.

Today, I got the new CD by Bjork. I was very excited because none of the songs use instruments, just voices as instruments. (I, myself, experimented with that. That's not the point of this post though). And no, it isn't just like Bobby McFerrin, the media darling who created "Don't Worry, Be Happy". The world might have been a better place without that song in my opinion.

The song that was in the Olympics is on this CD. It is called "Oceania" and I like it. The reason why I think it was talked over is because it takes an evolutionist point of view. She sings from the point of view of the ocean and how we were born from her. (Yep, lyrics like these are very typical of Bjork). I wonder if they talked over her to keep people from realizing that the world does not have a creationist point of view. Perhaps, they figured Bjork was already hated enough by the creationists and it is better not to throw fuel on the fire. Just a thought.

Anyway, I can't get past the song, "Triumph of a Heart", which bricoleur can download from itunes now (just a suggestion, what's a buck?). I listen to it over and over. She really has a good, thick sound with all of the voices and, believe it or not, a great dance beat.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, whoever uploaded the album to iTunes mistyped the song title as "Triuimph of a Heart" which makes it impossible to search for.
    But I found it, tho.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I guess you didn't like it with it being misspelled and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not hold Bjork responsible for the misspellings of iTunes staff. And what a thought, that I would fail to like something just because it was misspelled! No, I didn't like it for entirely different reasons. (Really, you remember that I've never been able to "get" Bjork, don't you? I had the same problem with Throbbing Gristle.)
    P.S., on an entirely different topic: Have you seen "Van Helsing"? There's a commercial for it on right this very second, and it looks cool. I wonder if I should rent it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, whoever uploaded the album to iTunes mistyped the song title as "Triuimph of a Heart" which makes it impossible to search for.
    But I found it, tho.
    M

    ReplyDelete