Friday, October 15, 2004

The Evil Empire of Fry's Electronics

So, yesterday, I had the day off. I've been thinking about various improvements to my computer and I've been thinking about Taco Time. There is only one Taco Time in Las Vegas. I think that their crisp meat burrito is the world's most perfect food, much like the incredible, edible egg. Anyway, there happens to be a Fry's electronics store near that particular Taco Time. I decided to make a day of it. Of course, some traffic accident prevented it from being a quick trip. Stupid drivers! Also, I found my fellow commuters to be rather unfriendly like when I needed to get in the next lane and they speed up to prevent me. What brings on that kind of behavior? Driving habits truly exaggerate one's own behavior. I think they feel that someone else is trying to get an advantage and they can't let that happen, oh god, no!

So, I get to Taco Time and my stomach is already a little messed up from my recent diet of candy corn and dots. I ate some of the delicious crisp meat burrito and mexi-fries. My stomach started to hurt a lot, making my Taco Time experience less than favorable. Apparently the second time I got food poisoning was from the exact same food from Taco Time (so the doctor presumed). That didn't stop me though. Yep, it's that good. Anyway, their new slogan sucks: "Taco Time. It really is." That sure is open-ended and an amateur comedian's dream. They also had on the bag: "Warning: May cause spontaneous fiestas." I thought that was cute, even though it verges on my hatred for X-treme, in-your-face attitude advertising.

My next stop was Fry's. Now, people here in Vegas always talk about Fry's with a kind of reverence in their voice. "If you can plug it in, they have it and for less". That's pretty much true, although they didn't have apple computers, just the ipod. They also didn't carry Dell. They do have a computer geek section with motherboards, cpu's, and everything to build or fix a computer. They also have, again, anything that plugs in like vacuums and electric can openers. You get the idea. It's a huge warehouse. I hate it, not because of the excellent selection, low prices, or even the in store cafe, but because of something much, more sinister.

I think I'm the only person in the world that this pisses off. It pisses me off so bad, that I actually shake if I think about when it is happening. Costco and Sam's Club does it, too. They check your receipt and purchases when you leave. Now, Costco and Sam's Club are memberships, so I figure that if I don't like it, that I don't have to go there. Fry's is not a membership, yet they check your receipt when you leave. Think about what they are doing. You are required to submit to a search of your personal items when leaving the store. You bought it, it is yours. They can't keep track of you on your way from the checkstand to the door. They have to check your bag at the door!! It's 20 feet maybe! It doesn't seem like a big deal, but what is next? Search your pockets, your purse, your body cavities. The government doesn't have that power to search you like that. They have to have probable cause.

Now, Greg brought up the point that you get searched going to Disneyland now or the airport. That is different. You have the choice to not submit to the search and not going to Disneyland. When leaving a store, you don't have a choice. You can't stay there.

Unfortunately, I didn't press the issue. I waited like a sheep in line to show my receipt and left. I was too shocked. Corporations are taking more and more liberties with our rights. I'm all for theft prevention, but get a little more creative than that.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, if you run that gives them probable cause. But if you just say, "I'm not legally required to show you anything" or "You have no legal right to search my personal property" then the burden of proof is on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if you run that gives them probable cause. But if you just say, "I'm not legally required to show you anything" or "You have no legal right to search my personal property" then the burden of proof is on them.

    ReplyDelete