Sunday, August 22, 2004

The Exorcist, the Beginning (of crap)

Apparently, they scraped this film after making it, then re-filmed it to make it more scary. The first one must have been sooooo boring.

My biggest problem is all the "fake" scares. You know what I mean. The most common fake scare comes before anything happens. The person is in a dark, creepy place where we know something is going to happen. The music is tense. Then a cat jumps out and screams or screeches or whatever sound a cat makes. I'm happy to report that there are no cats.

Examples in this movie:
They have a bird flap its wings loudly.
The power comes on and the radio is really loud.
The scene is dark and spooky, but quickly changes with a loud clang of a shovel.

Sadly, one of the last scenes is of a possessed woman running though a tunnel, flailing her arms in slow motion. They back-lit her hair and I thought it looked just like rock temptress Stevie Nicks doing a video. Such a witchy woman.

Watch Amityville Horror again and you will see some similarities. Nothing scary happens in Amityville Horror until the end. A window slams shut....ooooohhh scary. There are a bunch of flies....yuck. A priest has a heart attack....that can be a bummer, but it doesn't mean your house is possessed. Doesn't a nun throw up in that one too? Nun's are scary, but they are pretty manageable when they are vomiting, so that makes it NOT scary.

(10 comments) - (Post a new comment)

[info]liligan
2004-08-22 02:35 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Well, I wasn't very interested in seeing this movie anyway, now I definitely won't. Actually, I probably will see it eventually when its on cable or something. The Exorcist was never one of my favorites to begin with. My personal favorite is The Boneyard. hehehe

[info]tuber_x
2004-08-22 10:59 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Ah, The Boneyard, now there is a cinematic masterpiece. Phyllis Diller makes any movie scary, doesn't she?

[info]mkhobson
2004-08-22 04:57 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
I can't ever seem to get into horror movies, for exactly the reasons you state. All the scares are so *manufactured*. The scariest movie I ever saw was Eraserhead, and that was just scary because it was so weird. The second scariest movie I ever saw was "Full Metal Jacket", which we have the DVD of and Dan likes to watch sometimes, and I have to leave the room. That one's scary because it's so brutal and so real. And I really like Vincent D'Onfrio (or however you spell his name) and I hate to see him get kicked around.

Actually, "The Shining" is pretty scary, too. And "2001". And "Eyes Wide Shut." Kubrick was good at making scary movies.

Hey, by the way, did you ever see "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp? It's not scary, but it's currently my number one top favorite movie of all time.

M

[info]tuber_x
2004-08-22 10:57 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
I think that the Alien films are scary. Thanks to HG Giger. The other movie that I thought was scary, and this is embarrassing, was "The Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2". It really isn't like the first Blair Witch and it is kinda very strange. It plays with your mind a little. Worth a looksie if you're bored.

[info]tuber_x
2004-08-22 11:09 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
No I haven't seen "Dead Man". I will put it into Netflix and watch it.

[info]mkhobson
2004-08-22 11:21 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Yay! I hope you like it. You kind of have to like Johnny Depp, which I do. I try not to get all Rosie O'Donnell about it, but I think he's just scrum-diddly-umptious.

M

[info]tuber_x
2004-08-22 09:41 pm (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
I do like Johnny Depp. I think he chooses unusual roles and usually does a good job with them.

[info]mkhobson
2004-08-22 05:00 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Actually, now that I reread that post above, I realize that I'm conflating "scary" with "disturbing." "Full Metal Jacket" and "Eraserhead" are *disturbing* movies. "The Shining" is scary.

M

[info]g_eats
2004-08-24 01:58 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
I can tell by your emoticon that you are scared, never fear I will save you my darling!

and..as to the boneyard, to this day I am still afraid of Poodles!

[info]tuber_x
2004-08-24 09:01 am (local) (link) DeleteFreezeScreenTrack This
Yes, I'm scared of crappy movies. So very scared. I'm curling into a ball as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment