Saturday, August 7, 2004

I Robot

I read an amateur review on this movie and it said that the only thing that it had in common with the book, by Isaac Asimov, was the title.

That's not true, there were Asimov's three laws of robotics in it too. I don't know if this was based on just one of the stories or all of them. Hee hee, I've never read "I, Robot", but I know that it was the first books to really explore robotics. It has been ripped off by every other movie and book about robotics. So, when someone says, "I've seen stuff like this before." You can remind them that this is the original.

I actually liked the movie although I have some criticism that will not give away plot.

There is way too much product placement. Not just any kind of product placement, but blatant-used-car-salesman-type product placement. First, Will Smith turns on his JVC CD stereo and opens a shoe box to reveal a pair of Converse. He says something like "a thing of beauty". (They were cool though, nice black leather.) Anyway, he leaves his building to be greeted by a FEDEX robot that cheerily states, "Another package delivered on time by FEDEX". He then hops in his Audi with Audi symbols on the head rests. He goes to Grandma's and she says, "What do you have on your feet?" And he says they are "2004 vintage Converse". You hear that, they are available in stores now. They just wanted to make sure that you knew that. Later on, he goes down to Cafe Ovaltine to slam back some Dos Equis. He also drives a MV Augusta SPR motorcycle. There is also a Prudential Life somewhere in there too. I don't remember where. The robots are made by US Robotics, which is odd. I thought US Robotics only made modems. hmmmm....

My other criticism is the overuse of fancy camera work. OK, OK I've seen the "Matrix" effect. It was cool in the other 80 movies I've seen it in, but I'm pretty sick of it now. It was a novelty really. The novelty has worn off. There are lots of action-camera-effects, so much flash and no substance.

Greg liked this movie and he usually doesn't like any movie. That is quite an endorsement. I think why I liked it was because it is like older science fiction. It is not all about the action, there is an actual story. That's a change. I'm sure it was just a raped version of Issac Asimov's book, but there was some story there.

liligan's response:

I have not yet read the bood either, however I think that it really should be read. And, I have not seen the movie yet, but after hearing what you had to say, and the fact that Greg liked it, I surely will.

My response:

I think it helps if you don't think it will be good when you go in. I told Greg that I heard the movies sucks before we went in. That way, we have no expectations. He wants me to tell him that every time.
The book was $2.75 at amazon and now that it has Will Smith on the cover, $7.99. I like the previous cover better anyway. The new cover is kind of disgusting when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment