Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Sandy, the Destroyer

I work with a tiny Cambodian girl named Sandy. She has big brown eyes, long black hair and a big smile. She looks like a school girl, but she is much older. Her listening comprehension is horrible, but you don't realize it right away because she speaks with only a slight accent and good grammar. If you say a long difficult sentence, she quickly comes back with "What the hell are you talking about?" She does this in good humor and it always makes me laugh. When a customer says something she doesn't understand, she just cocks her head and smiles. Customers love her until....

I call her Sandy, the Destroyer. She usually runs relief, that means that she works 20 minutes at a time at three different tables giving breaks. Every time I come back after she relieves me, the table is empty of customers. She takes all of their money very quickly. She just stands there innocently. The funny thing is that customers are drawn to her. "Let's go to that little cute girl smiling there." On the occasion when customers are still there when I come back, they are always groaning and so happy to see me. If they survive another hour until she comes back, they seriously look frightened to see her appear. She innocently smiles at them and starts dealing, such the destroyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment