Friday, June 3, 2005

Hummus

hummus
I love hummus, but I don't like the dried hummus mixes that you can buy in the store. I also don't like the pre-made hummus that you can buy in the store. I like my hummus nice and thin and they prefer the thick hummus with strange flavors. So, I decided to make my own hummus. Lo and behold, there are a ton of recipes for hummus and they are all different. I'm really a freak about recipes in that I can't deviate from them one iota. That makes me a horrible, meticulous cook. I ended up creating my own hummus recipe and dare I say, it's a keeper. Here it is as follows: (I'm actually posting this so I don't lose it. Although, it is pretty easy to remember)

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans (put the "juice" aside for later)
1/2 tsp. Cumin
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup tahini
Olive Oil

Put everything beside juice and olive oil in a food processor. Mix it up. Add "juice" to get desired consistency (nice and thin). Put in a dish and drizzle olive oil over it. Yummmmmmmmmm.

12 comments:

  1. Do you like falafel?
    I love falafel, in a pita, with tomatoes and lettuce and that yogurty-sauce stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love falafel, but Greg says that falafel is just awful. So, I never get to have it. There's a middle eastern restaurant here that is halfway decent and open late. Greg refuses to go there with me. They also have a hookah lounge. I think that is pretty fun. No one else does though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I come visit someday, we will go there and eat falafel and smoke on the hookah. That sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! I will never cook anything that I can buy ready made, but it still looks very good.
    Are you a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh duh. You were eating the 'cornish hens' at the joust...
    Just a simple man and hummus lover, then.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I'm a vegetarian. I just eat fowl...oh and fish...and beef and pork.....and lamb I love lamb. I'm just the world's worst vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kind of like how I am still a smoker, though I dont smoke anything anymore. I have the heart of a smoker inside me yet.(Actually, let's hope not!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I hope you dont' have the heart of a smoker....that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I hope you dont' have the heart of a smoker....that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good! I will never cook anything that I can buy ready made, but it still looks very good.
    Are you a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you like falafel?
    I love falafel, in a pita, with tomatoes and lettuce and that yogurty-sauce stuff.

    ReplyDelete