Friday, June 3, 2005

My first job

Peter Piper Pizza

I was 15 and wanted to work for the summer. My sister worked at Peter Piper Pizza and although it was illegal for me to do so. I applied there as well. I started out as a dishwasher/busser. I did my job well, or so I thought. I did everything that I was suppose to. One day, my sister came to me and said that she was embarrassed at my performance. I said that, I did everything that I was told to do and that I did a good job at it. She then told me that when I had extra time to come and help in the kitchen and other areas. This actually started my personal work ethic (Thanks Sis). Never stop working...always keep looking for something to do to help out co-workers. I had no problem with that. I wasn't lazy, I just didn't know that I could do that. Anyway, it turned out to be a lot of fun. One manager we called "Mom" and another manager was called "Uncle Sauce". The customers started to think it was a family business.

I also ended up making pizzas and running the oven. I was terrible at running the oven. My pizzas always came out looking like footballs. I also, occasionally had to put on the mascot uniform. What was it? A friendly bear, I think. What a horrible job that is. Kids look into your real eyes through the black mesh and they know what is going on. It is also really hot. I was told that if I got too hot to go into the walk in cooler to prevent passing out. It's that hot. I feel sorry for the mascots at Disney.

I gave my two weeks notice and ended up walking out on my last day. There was a new manager who sent everyone home except me. We happened to be really busy and I knew that closing would take forever and I had enough of the new guy. Nobody liked him, which at 15, makes it easier to be mean. I wrote I note that said "I quit" and left in the back and left. I later found out that he didn't find the note for a long time and thought I had been kidnapped.

3 comments: