Sunday, June 5, 2005

My Third Job

Fred Meyer

I also got this job after my sister started working there as a cashier. Not much happened here. I worked there during the school year as a Customer Assisstant Representative or CAR. It involved straightening the shelves and helping anyone with price checks or item locations. The craziest day to work was Christmas Eve. This was, by far, the busiest shopping day that I had ever seen. I had worked the day after Thanksgiving and it was nothing in comparison. When I went outside to get the carts after the store closed at 6:00, people would drive up incredibly mad that the store had closed. How could we close so early on Christmas Eve? It was as if the rest of the world should cater to their needs and screw the people working at Fred Meyer.

9 comments:

  1. So were you raised here, or are there Fred Meyer Stores in Nevada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well who doesn't want superior merchandise at low, low prices..it would not have killed you to stay open! It could have been your christmas present to the angry shoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, actually, I was raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, where they do have Fred Meyer Stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred's is in SLC, Utah? *You* are from there? Whenever I hear of Salt Lake City, I think "Mormons" and I imagine dry, cracked earth along a barren desert plateau crisscrossed by aritificially irrigated corn fields.
    I think it's from reading old references to SLC in the pioneer days, maybe. Werent the Mormons more like a cult back then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Mormons are like a cult now. At least, they are in Salt Lake City and the rest of Utah. I understand that they are better in other parts of the nation.
    I was born in Seattle and lived there and in Portland until I was 8. We then moved to Salt Lake City until I was 18. Then I went to college in Eugene. I moved to Japan to teach English in 95. When I came back, I moved back to Salt Lake City and now I live here in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, is your family Mormon or is there some other reason why someone would settle in SLC after living in Seattle and Portland first?
    I have no sense of what else could draw a person to want to go live in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father was transferred for work. They are not mormon and I was raised agnostic. Both of my parents were raised catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father was transferred for work. They are not mormon and I was raised agnostic. Both of my parents were raised catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fred's is in SLC, Utah? *You* are from there? Whenever I hear of Salt Lake City, I think "Mormons" and I imagine dry, cracked earth along a barren desert plateau crisscrossed by aritificially irrigated corn fields.
    I think it's from reading old references to SLC in the pioneer days, maybe. Werent the Mormons more like a cult back then?

    ReplyDelete