Tuesday, June 7, 2005

My Fifth Job

I worked in the cafeteria at the University Inn, a dorm for the University of Oregon.



Such an easy job to do in my first year of college. I would wake up and go downstairs and work at 6:30 in the morning. I cooked a lot of eggs and everyone said that my eggs were perfect. When they ordered over easy, they got over easy without the runny white mess.

My first customer on my first day was a volleyball athlete. She came down looking tired and cranky and asked for scrambled eggs. I put some on a plate and she looked at me like I was the biggest idiot in the world. She said, "IN A BOWL" again like I was so dumb for putting it on a plate. So, I put them in a bowl. Other people also wanted their eggs in a bowl. You know what? That's how I like them too. God, I was such an idiot.

When the students would come down to eat they had to have their card run through a machine to determine if they are eligible to eat. One time, a football player wanted to eat a second lunch and tried to get through again. When the person running the cards said that he couldn't, the football player punched him in the eye.

How funny. My story includes two athletes that were jerks. It's not a scientific study mind you, but I see a correlation.

6 comments:

  1. Great freakish cafeteria food picture. While remaining colorful and well-balanced it still manages to have not one appetizing food item pictured.
    Are those things in the upper right dish, chest nuts?
    Actually, I have always loved eating at cafeterias. Perhaps, because I know I can hassle the workers there into conforming to my most eccentric whims when it comes to how I expect my eggs presented to me. It is an environment of domination and servitude I like to savor as I eat off my little plastic tray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you athletic?
    I have no idea what the food is in the picture. I actually got it on a website that sells posters and magnets. It happens to be a little magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was once semi-semi-athletic, but I ate too much at too many cafeterias. I blame the cafeteria staff for catering to my every whim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha.......it's the cafeteria staff revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah ha.......it's the cafeteria staff revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you athletic?
    I have no idea what the food is in the picture. I actually got it on a website that sells posters and magnets. It happens to be a little magnet.

    ReplyDelete