Saturday, June 4, 2005

My Second Job

Now 16 and legal, I got a job at Sisters Chicken the summer after Peter Piper Pizza. The chicken chain owned by Wendy's until it was sold. It was quite good from what I understand. Of course, I don't like chicken.

They had a sexist policy, cute girls worked in the front and ugly boys worked in the back. I hated it. The worst part was when you were working the fryer. You would bread and fry the chicken in these large fryers. You would get constantly burned from the oil splattering up. When you went home, you smelled like oil. I preferred working the biscuit station.
Making Biscuits
I don't remember the hats being so stupid, but who knows.

The manager and asst. manager were using and perhaps dealing drugs in the backroom. They would always come out of the back room with a renewed interest in their job. At one point, I was filling a bucket with water. Roger, the manager, came over, waited for a second and said "Jesus, why does it take so long for this bucket to fill up with water". He then found a hose and a sprayer. He used those to aid the filling of the bucket. Needless to say, it took two seconds. During that two seconds, he managed to yell "come on, come on!" at the water.

Doing the dishes was horribly unsafe. The managers had a habit of throwing knives across the kitchen to land in the sink. It didn't really matter if you were there.

To clean the place, we would scrub everything down and end up with a couple inches of water on the floor to scrub up the oil and flour mess. The place was always sparkling when we were done.

12 comments:

  1. You don't like chicken?
    How do you live?
    I mean, chicken is everywhere. In everything. It's almost a major food group in and of itself.
    Do you mean you don't like *fried* chicken?
    My mind is boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's hard being me. I can eat chicken sometimes. Usually, boneless and skinless chicken breast is possible as long as it is not to thick and covered up with spices or condiments. I can't stand the taste.
    I really don't like steak much either.
    I recently discoverd that, yes, I'm a supertaster. I suppose you knew it all along. I have that certain magical glow, n'est pas? I only like one brand of milk here in Las Vegas. I found out that is because I can taste the difference between milk from grain-fed and hay-fed cows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I don't remember that about you. I remember doing the Taco Bell drive-thru a lot, though. Probably because we were poor college students.
    How do you tell if you're a supertaster? Is there some test you can take?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a test. It involves dying your tongue and counting the taste buds in a small area. The easier way is just to proclaim yourself a supertaster as I did. 1 in 4 people are supertasters, so the odds aren't that bad.
    Usually, supertasters have to have cream and/or sugar in coffee, otherwise it is too bitter. Supertasters almost never become alcoholics because they don't like the taste of alchohol. And they love fatty foods and dislike bitter vegetables. Sounds like being a kid, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend cant stand the taste/texture/ smell of chicken either. His whole life he has been like that. When I took him out to this hip mexican place, he ordered the lasanga without asking what was in it. Turned out, there was chicken in the bottom layer.
    The look on his face as he held it to my nose asking me to confirm what was in it-- you would've thought I had brought him there to poison him that night. Like it was a plot! It set the level of trust back between us by weeks.
    I thought he was the only one out there like that. Oddly, he claims to be a SuperSmeller; I will have to ask him his impression of his powers to detect nuances in flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm glad someone else out there hates chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I get it. I don't like soy milk....bllllahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soy millk is gooooood. And its much healthier for you than cows milk.
    MMMMMmmmmmm soy milk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words that I swore I would never hear:
    "MMMMMmmmmmm soy milk"

    ReplyDelete