Saturday, August 23, 2008

Evolution



Last night, I was with some friends on break at work.  The conversation turned to politics, something that I don't do.  Politics and friends don't mix.  We agreed to disagree and not talk politics.  Then one of my friends said that, "If we talk politics we will assume that we are extreme on a lot of issues like I'm religious..."

"And I'm atheist," I replied.

"Yeah, right," she replied.

"I am an atheist though.  I think getting your morals should come from within and relying on a book is weak."

She was shocked by this and said we shouldn't talk about religion either.  I agreed.  Then a third person said, "so, you believe that we came from monkeys."

"Yes, I do, but that really isn't a religious discussion.  It's a scientific theory.  You can be religious and still believe in evolution."

They both agreed that they do not believe in evolution.  I explained that if you look into it, evolution is rather convincing.  They assumed I was brainwashed.  I was going to go into the miracle of mitochondria and its significance to evolution, but I stopped myself.

2 comments: