Monday, August 11, 2008

The Golden Greek

I've had horrible luck choosing restaurants lately.  Whenever I choose one, it always turns out to be over-priced crap.  I chose a mediterranean restaurant and it was just horribly bland.  Then I chose a pizza restaurant and even I hated the pizza...I never hate pizza.

Greg, on the other hand, has wonderful successes.  He chose this absolutely hideous looking Greek restaurant done in blue and white that had statues all over it: inside, outside and on top of.  We get there and it is huge, empty and even more hideous inside.  It's like someone went to a junk store and threw up as much "fancy" stuff they could as decoration, including a plastic, vase-like gold cup on each table.  The menu was printed on goldenrod and stapled in the upper left hand corner.  It was about 15 pages overflowing with typed descriptions with hand-writing all over it.  Sometimes the price was crossed out and another price was written above it.  Sometimes an item was written in or crossed out.  Each menu wasn't handwritten on, they xeroxed the handwriting, so each menu was identically marred with corrections.

They had items like "whole sheep's head - call two hours in advance".  I was a little wary of this menu, so I ordered a gyro....(I know, what a wimp.  I used to be so daring.) and an appetizer.  It was the best gyro I ever had and the appetizer was like an unbelievably delicious Greek samosa.  Whatever Greg ordered was good as well.  Greg was more adventurous than I, but I can't remember what he had.

The decorations grew on me, too.  Who am I to condemn decorating genius?

No comments:

Post a Comment