Sunday, August 3, 2008

A must* read!



*not


So, no one ever recommends good books to me...other than my mother and then only rarely.  Sometimes, she just suggests a book and then says that it wasn't very good.  Such mixed messages only confuse me though.  She did recommend "Poisonwood Bible" and that really was a great book, right up my alley.

Anyway, someone at work put out a bunch of books in the break room and put a sign that said, "free".  I took a couple...a sci-fi...a mystery...and this little gem, "Flood Tide" by Clive Cussler.  I thought a little adventure book, while not my normal fare, would be enjoyable.  I really didn't know anything about Clive Cussler books.  I didn't know that they all focus on ship wrecks underwater or underwater adventures.  That's fine.  I didn't know that the most description that he gives is about the specialty underwater equipment or procedures, which he does at length.

At one point in this 1997 book, a character is talking to the President of the United States about how the influx of illegal Chinese immigrants is actually part of a plot of the Chinese government to take over the United States.  They then discuss extreme military measures that the United States needs to take against immigration, which is, after all, a direct attack on the American people.

One of the lines of narration in the book actually says, "He heard the clanging sounds that the orientals call music in the room as he passed."

I have only read 100 pages of this book and I fear the romance that is going to ensue between the main character and the undercover Chinese CIA agent that he saved from the hands of evil human smugglers.  I think that I don't have enough testosterone for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment